How To Clean Mold by the Book
When you realize your business in Jacksonville, FL has mold, you may be wondering where to start to combat the situation. Depending on its severity, you may even have some ideas on how you can tackle the task yourself. However, there are certain mold standards to which one must adhere when dealing with commercial properties, such as those recommended by the Environmental Protection Agency and outlined by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Enlisting the experts in mold remediation will likely be your best bet for larger areas or certain mold types, but it can be helpful to be aware of the guidelines on how to prevent and handle a mold infestation in the meantime.
The EPA advises the following to prevent mold growth:
• Control humidity and temperature indoors.
• Ensure that rooms have adequate ventilation.
• Check plumbing and drainage systems.
• Thoroughly scrub any surface where mold is visible and keep it dry.
• In areas prone to mold, clean more frequently.
• Contract a mold remediation specialist.
There are plenty areas of overlap between advice from the EPA and OSHA. The latter does specify in detail several additional tips of mold standards to consider, recommending the following:
• In-house staff such as custodians or housekeepers can perform mold cleanup for milder cases if they are properly trained and wear personal protective equipment.
• Prior to cleanup, staff should be trained according to the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard.
• Specific OSHA guidelines based on severity and size of affected area should be followed.
Going by the outlined mold standards of these reputable organizations can help you determine the course of action to take for your business in Jacksonville, FL. You may be dealing with a mild situation that can be managed in-house through proper steps, or something more challenging, as is the case with black mold. For more severe cases, it may be best to contact a professional with certifications such as that from the Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration. Regardless, following these guidelines can help you restore your business to pre-mold condition. Visit http://www.SERVPROjacksonvillewestsideorangepark.com for more information on mold.