How to Handle Loss Due to Fire in Orange Park and Jacksonville, Florida
How to Handle Loss Due to Fire
Dealing with the aftermath of a fire which resulted in fire damage to a home or business can be overwhelming for the owners. The property suffers not only from smoke and fire damage but residual water damage from firefighters when fighting the fire. The primary focus of home and business owners in Orange Park, Florida should be their safety.
The first consideration after a fire in a home or fire in business is to conclude if the structure is safe to occupy. Water damage from fire may cause electrical issues and create slip and fall hazards which occur most often after fire in home. Fire in home may blaze up again even if appears to be put out. Do not enter the structure until firefighters say it is safe to do so.
Owners in Orange Park, Florida should limit the movement in the house to prevent soot from being embedded in carpet or upholstery. Fire cleanup should be handled by a professional, owners should not attempt to clean electrical appliances affected by the fire or water damage from fire. Canned and packaged food should not be consumed. No one should turn on ceiling fans or lights if the ceiling is wet because the wiring may be damaged and will need to be inspected by a fire restoration expert.
Fire cleanup extends to clothing affected by the smoke and water as well. A dry cleaner specializing in removing smoke odor should be contacted to clean affected clothing. To prevent further fire loss owners should board up openings to their home or business to protect from weather damage and intrusion and make further fire restoration necessary. Fire loss can also be reduced by removing and relocating contents of the home or business that could be damaged due to continued exposure to fire damage.
A fire in business can cause substantial loss of revenue not only from the fire itself, but the length of time taken to restore the business. Business owners should immediately contact all of their insurance companies to ensure their business is covered and will be restored properly.
After the fire be sure to consider the following:
- Check outside the home/business
- Look for loose or exposed power lines
- Check for damaged gas lines
- Have a building inspector check for safety before entering the structure
- Check inside home/ business
- Do not force jammed entry ways
- Wear long pants, long sleeves, protective footwear and work gloves whenentering the home or business
- Beware of Dangers inside the home/ business
- Presence of natural or propane gas will necessitate immediate evacuation of the property.
- Call emergency services immediately
- Check for embers as they may reignite the fire
- Beware of rodents, snakes, spiders and other insects that may be present after the fire
- Check the ceiling for sagging due to water damage
- Check the floors for signs of sagging as well
- Avoid leaning on damaged walls or walking on damaged floors
Recovery from fire loss in a home or business can be difficult for the owners. There may be extensive fire, smoke and water damage in the aftermath of the fire. Owners should be very careful in entering damaged structures and should contact professional help in cleaning and restoring their home or business in Orange Park, Florida. Visit http://www.SERVPROjacksonvillewestsideorangepark.com/ for more information on fire loss.